top of page
Writer's pictureSophie [Moonwave]

Short summary METS 2019

Updated: Mar 29, 2020

E-nnovation and electric propulsion systems even had their own "section/category" in one of the halls and an own stage for discussions around batteries, electric propulsions systems and more.

I went to some of the presentation but the show is that big that I could not attend all of the them.

Within the last years there are more and more electric propulsion providers present with different inboard / combination outboards and saildrive manufactures. A lot of the stands that I have passed offer electric propulsion engines but not all of the offer complete solutions and systems.

Also in the Superyacht Pavillon, there are several “Superyacht” Hybrid System providers. There seams to be tendency for electric propulsion like we have noticed on the water as well. Bigger equipment than what we use on Moonwave for sure.

As explained in other blog entries, on Superyacht the designers and yards take advantage of the fact that electric engines take less space in the aft the boat - generators can be placed forward - and use the stern areas of the yachts for "spa" / owner terraces etc.

There are now electric engines on the market in all kind of sizes and forms but so far for our application Torqeedo is the only "full service system of requested size". There are some "questions marks" for the installation/use on a bigger size catamaran but that's a different topic.

It is interesting to see that even Volvo Penta started a cooperation with Fontaine-Pajot and they have launched their first electric test boat. See here

The market will be more competitive but it will take the other players a couple of years to catch up...

If you are interested in electric & hybrid propulsions METS is definitively worth the visit. As always, if you have any questions, pleases don't hesitate to contact us and/or leave a comment below.

Check out the article on www.moonwave.com website covering my trip at METS as well:

5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments

bottom of page